Saturday, November 12, 2016

MySQL Support Engineer's Chronicles, Issue #3

The original idea of this series was to publish one post per week, but it seems every other week I have some special topic that well deserves a dedicated post. Last week I had no time to complete my writing because of long (and, I hope, useful) Howto post on replacing corrupted partition using non-corrupted one from other server in replication setup. But I had links and notes collected in a draft that I am going to complete now.

First of all, during the previous week I had time to submit two more talks for the  "MySQL and Friends Devroom" at FOSDEM 2017, "Applying profilers to MySQL" and "Background Story of a MySQL Bug". Call for papers is still open, as far as I understand, so I may come up with few more ideas on what to talk about.

Strange to admit this, but sometimes I can be excited with something MySQL-related. Two weeks ago I've added a note to myself about great, detailed changelogs that MariaDB publishes, with proper links to GitHub commits. Check this one for 10.0.28, for example. I wish Oracle provides the same level of details for MySQL releases as a part of their official release notes.

Still, sometimes important changes happen in upstream MySQL, get merged, and details about inherited incompatible change (and its real impact) are still missing in any release notes of any kind. Let's consider recent example. Historically MySQL treated incorrect utf8 bytes sequences differently for INSERT than for LOAD DATA. INSERT failed, LOAD DATA just had the value truncated on the first incorrect character and continued. Eventually (in MySQL 5.6.32) this was fixed by upstream MySQL (it was also fixed in a wider context in MariaDB 10.2 in frames of MDEV-9823). MySQL 5.6.32 release notes says about the incompatible change:
  • "Incompatible Change: For multibyte character sets, LOAD DATA could fail to allocate space correctly and ignore input rows as a result. (Bug #76237, Bug #20683959, Bug #23080148)
    References: This issue is a regression of: Bug #14653594."
But it surely says nothing about the impact for replication or another Bug #78758 that is fixed in 5.6.32 (by making LOAD DATA fail with error). It costed me some time to figure out all the details. Read MDEV-11217 for the historical details, nice test case and different views on the decisions made. Note also that now error message about the bad utf8 character from LOAD DATA looks (IMHO) weird enough, as it contains actually only a valid part of the string. See my MDEV-11216 about this.

I am still having fun with InnoDB locks. This week I checked what locks are set when the same DELETE (for the table with the primary key and unique secondary index) is executed twice in the same transaction. Check Bug #83640 and tell me how this sequence of locks set in one transaction may make any sense:
---TRANSACTION 636201, ACTIVE 202 sec
5 lock struct(s), heap size 1184, 4 row lock(s), undo log entries 1
MySQL thread id 1, OS thread handle 0x7f9e513a7700, query id 92 localhost root init
show engine innodb status
TABLE LOCK table `test`.`tu` trx id 636201 lock mode IX
RECORD LOCKS space id 11 page no 4 n bits 72 index `u` of table `test`.`tu` trx id 636201 lock_mode X locks rec but not gap
RECORD LOCKS space id 11 page no 3 n bits 72 index `PRIMARY` of table `test`.`tu` trx id 636201 lock_mode X locks rec but not gap
RECORD LOCKS space id 11 page no 4 n bits 72 index `u` of table `test`.`tu` trx id 636201 lock_mode X
RECORD LOCKS space id 11 page no 4 n bits 72 index `u` of table `test`.`tu` trx id 636201 lock_mode X locks gap before rec
My colleague Jan Lindström was also surprised, so we have MDEV-11215 as well, and a chance to see this studies and maybe changed by MariaDB engineers. Related problems were discussed in the past, see Bug #19762 and Bug #55717.

Some days I keep wondering what happens to XtraBackup these days in Percona. As far as I remember I was not able to reproduce lp:1461833 while working there, but the fact that the bug is still open and got no comments since I re-opened it gives me no additional confidence.

I report bugs and missing details in MySQL way too often even for my own liking. But MySQL manual really misses many details to explain results that users see in production. This week I'd like to remind about one of my bug reports about missing details in MySQL documentation, Bug #77390, and my request there:
"Please, explain all metadata and InnoDB locks set by online ALTER, with examples and details enough to explain non-trivial cases..."
Honestly, until this month I never noted that DDL log exists in MySQL. This is a ddl_log.log binary file that can be "dumped" into a somewhat readable form using a script by Mattias Jonsson from Bug #47343:
[openxs@fc23 5.7]$ perl ~/ddl_log_dump.pl data/ddl_log.log
Header: Num entries: 4 Name length: 512 Block length 4096
Entry 1 type i action s next 0
  name ./test/trange2
not 'e' entry (i)
Entry 2 type l action d next 0
  name ./test/#sql-trange2
not 'e' entry (l)
Entry 3 type l action d next 2
  name ./test/trange2#P#pmax
not 'e' entry (l)

This file may grow until MySQL server restart completes, but what's worse, when it grows over 4GB in size it becomes unusable and effectively blocks any further concurrent DDL until we get rid of it. I had a lot of fun reading the code and reporting related Bug #83708. Unlucky users who do a lot of partitioning-related DDL may find the situation less funny when they hit this bug.


I plan to describe what I had to work on this week soon, while I still remember all the relevant details and feelings. So, stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment